MAPPING DYNAMICS AND TRENDS OF THE SILVER ECONOMY AND ACTIVE AGEING
Results and findings from the DEAL Project
The DEAL Project represents a practical and concrete response to a number of challenges clearly identified in the EU:
- 44% of Europeans do not have basic digital skills, of that 44% some 42% are unemployed.
DEAL starts from a very basic concept: an older Irish fisherman, who having lost his job begins a desperate search for alternative employment. Through a mixture of desperation and determination, of fear of the unknown and a lack of self-confidence but driven by necessity, he eventually stumbles onto a business idea rooted both in his past employment and in the modern digital age. He starts up a ‘Fresh Fish Straight to Your Door’ business making practical use of WhatsApp, Facebook and a Smartphone.
Our Project will seek to reduce, if not eliminate, this fear and lack of self-confidence and seek instead to increase the level of relevant knowledge, understanding and skills thereby enabling people like him to find alternative self-employment paths. Given the proper supports and resources, we believe that there is great potential for low skilled adults to nurture their entrepreneurial talent leveraging digital applications and skills.
Intellectual Output 2 is designed to provide these learners with the above supports and resources which are evidence-based methods of empowerment in the area of entrepreneurial skills development and enhanced ability to make good use of the available technology.
This Output has included three main tasks:
1. The definition of a common methodology. The DEAL partners foresee 4 main areas of mapping and scaling:
- Digital and ITC gaps of Adult People
- A practical framework to enhance and valorise the digital empowerment of Adult people
- Defining how this new skills’ set might be exploited as an entrepreneurial opportunity
- Analysis of relevant best practices and useful case study scenarios
2. Identification of National Trends and Dynamics:
Trends at The Intersection Point of Digital Entrepreneurship and Adult Education
- Silver Economy Dynamics
- Entrepreneurial Paths for Adult Learners through Digital Opportunities
- Means and Tools already existent to support aspiring adults entrepreneurs
- Self-employability opportunities for digital adult learners
- Challenges and inhibitory factors for the digital empowerment of Adult Learners
3. Final Report on “Trends and Dynamics in AE local Policy Making”
Each national finding has been integrated into a singular and final document providing an evidence based foundation both regarding the findings and the efforts carried out collegially by the DEAL partners.